Root Canals in Old Bridge, NJ
Root canal treatment (RCT) is a dental procedure designed to alleviate pain and restore the health of a tooth suffering from infection or inflammation within its pulp. Tooth decay or trauma can lead to infection reaching the nerve area, causing severe discomfort. The procedure involves removing the damaged pulp, cleaning and disinfecting the tooth's interior, removing nerves from the canals, and sealing the space with a filling.
Indications for Root Canal Treatment
Certain signs may indicate the need for a root canal:
- Severe toothache, especially during chewing or at night
- Extreme sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Tooth discoloration, with the tooth becoming darker
- Pimple-like sores on the gums
- Tender and swollen gums
The Root Canal Procedure
A root canal performed by our Old Bridge dentist at Empire Dental Group entails several steps:
- Removing the infected pulp and nerve from the root
- Cleaning and shaping the inside of the root canal
- Filling and sealing the space with thermoplastic material
- Placing a crown on the tooth to restore its function and protection
Your Role in Successful Treatment
You play a vital role in ensuring the success of your root canal procedure. Following pre and post-operative instructions contributes to a smoother recovery.
- Avoid eating or drinking for the first 30 minutes after the procedure to allow temporary fillings to set.
- Take prescribed medications promptly and as directed.
- Apply a cold compress to minimize swelling, avoiding direct contact with the skin.
- Avoid chewing on the treated area until the permanent restoration is placed.
- Keep the treated area clean through regular brushing and flossing.
- Be prepared for some discomfort for a few days after the procedure.
- Contact Dr. Pavlushkin if temporary fillings fall out or for persistent discomfort.
Your Partner in Dental Health
At Empire Dental Group, we're committed to your dental health and comfort. Dr. Pavlushkin and our expert team ensure that root canal treatments are performed with precision and care, guiding you through each step of the process. With your cooperation and our expertise, we strive to achieve optimal results and restore your oral well-being. For any questions or to schedule a consultation, don't hesitate to contact our Old Bridge, NJ dental office. Your healthy, pain-free smile is our priority.