Empire Dental Group of New Jersey
Alla Pavlushkin, DDS
General Dentist & Cosmetic Dentistry located in Old Bridge, NJ
If you damage a tooth or develop a cavity, dental crowns can prevent further damage, limit pain, and restore your smile. At Empire Dental Group of New Jersey, Alla Pavlushkin, DDS, and the team offer various oral restorations, including dental crowns. To schedule an appointment at the Old Bridge, New Jersey, practice, call to speak with a member of the administrative staff or book online today.
Crowns in Old Bridge, NJ
Dental crowns, also known as tooth crowns, are an essential oral restoration that Dr. Pavlushkin uses to preserve the health and appearance of your teeth. These custom-designed caps are placed over damaged or weakened molars or premolars (the teeth at the back of your mouth), offering vital support, protection, and aesthetic restoration. They strengthen and support your tooth enamel, prevent further damage or decay, and restore your biting and chewing abilities.
The Role of Dental Crowns
Crowns can fix a number of dental problems. Dr. Pavlushkin and the team might recommend a dental crown for:
Strengthening and Protecting: Dental crowns serve as protective shields for damaged or decayed teeth. By encasing the affected tooth, they effectively strengthen your tooth enamel, preventing further deterioration.
Pain Management: Dental issues such as cracks, fractures, or extensive decay can lead to discomfort and pain. A dental crown not only restores the tooth's structure but can also alleviate the pain associated with these problems.
Restoring Your Smile: The visible part of your tooth, known as the crown, is what people see when you smile. When this crown is compromised due to damage or decay, it can affect your appearance. Dental crowns are meticulously designed to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, ensuring your smile remains as beautiful as ever.
You might also benefit from a dental crown if you’re getting dental implants. Crowns connect to the posts in your jaw, restoring your smile to its near-original condition.
The Crown Placement Process
The journey to a healthier, more radiant smile begins at our Old Bridge, NJ dental office! Getting a dental crown typically involves several stages:
1. Diagnosis and Preparation: At your initial consultation, Dr. Pavlushkin reviews your dental health history, asks about your symptoms, and conducts a comprehensive oral exam. Dr. Pavlushkin will thoroughly examine your tooth to determine if a dental crown is the appropriate treatment. If so, any damaged or decayed portions of the tooth are removed to create a stable foundation.
2. Impressions: Impressions of the prepared tooth are taken to create a custom-fitted dental crown that matches your natural teeth in both size and color. These impressions are then sent to a dental lab where skilled technicians craft your crown with precision. Before you leave, Dr. Pavlushkin applies a temporary crown to your affected tooth.
3. Crown Placement: Once your custom crown is ready, you'll return to the practice to have the temporary crown removed and replaced with the permanent one. Dr. Pavlushkin will carefully place your new custom crown over the prepared tooth. The crown is then bonded securely, restoring the tooth's functionality and appearance. Dr. Pavlushkin will polish the new crown and check your bite. After the process is complete, she provides a list of care and recovery instructions.
Types of Dental Crowns
At Empire Dental Group, we offer two main types of dental crowns to cater to your specific needs:
1. Zirconia Crowns: Zirconia crowns are crafted from a single high-strength material known for its durability and natural appearance. These crowns are ideal for those seeking a long-lasting solution that seamlessly blends with their natural teeth.
2. Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal (PFM) Crowns: PFM crowns combine the strength of metal with the aesthetics of ceramic. These crowns consist of a metal base layer covered with a layer of ceramic, providing both durability and a lifelike appearance.
The type of crown that will most benefit you depends on several factors, including your oral health history, the affected tooth’s location, and your budget.
How Long Do Dental Crowns Last?
Dental crowns last an average of 10-15 years, but they often last longer if you take good care of them. Dr. Pavlushkin and the team recommend brushing twice a day, flossing regularly, and visiting the practice every six months for an oral exam and professional teeth cleaning.
Personalized Care for Every Patient
Dr. Pavlushkin understands that each patient is unique, and so are their dental needs. Our commitment to quality care means that we work closely with our patients to create a dental crown that not only restores their oral health but also enhances their overall smile. Our goal is to provide you with individualized treatment that leaves you with a beautifully restored, natural-looking smile.